6. North porch, ca. 1437, St. Mary, Bury St. Edmunds, drawn
by N. J. Cottingham Jr. 1845, after Samuel Tymms, F.S.A., The Church
of St. Mary, Bury St. Edmunds, (Bury St. Edmunds and London, 1854).
The north porch was built though funding from the will of John Nottingham,
grocer, dated 20 May 1437. An inscription above the doorway on the cornice
reads Orate pro animabus Johannis Notingham et Isabelle uxoris suae
(Pray for the soul of John Nottingham and Isabelle his wife).