Wigginhall - St. Germans (4 slides plus 3 photographs)
Dedicated to St. Germanus, 5th-century Bishop of Auxerre. Germanus was believed to have aided the Britons defeat the Picts and Saxons, giving thanks for the so-called “Alleluia Victory” at the shrine of St. Alban. The dedication suggests that St. Germans was an Anglo-Saxon foundation, but the present building was built primarily in the perpendicular style of the 14th and 15th centuries. Accounts of the Norwich Cathedral Priory mention money spent on the building in 1397 through 1429.
The nave pews are the special feature of the church. They were rebuilt in the restorations of 1872 and 1883 when the chairs on the north side of the nave were replaced by benches made from ends collected from various parts of the church. They date to about 1500, similar to those of Wigginhall St. Mary. Those of the south side show the Seven Deadly Sins as figures standing in the Jaws of Hell. To the right side of the finial an angel points to the representation of the sin, and on the pew end is an Apostle. Identifiable are Lust (an embracing couple), Drunkenness (a man pouring drink) Avarice (with money bags), and Wrath (man with a sword). On the north are varied scenes, including a man with a scroll on the pew end and above him, the sacrament of penance. Another pew end shows an abbess, probably St. Etheldreda, the founder of Ely, and what appears to be choir singers. Etheldreda and Germanus would been seen as coeval, founder saints.
Wigginhall - St. Mary The Virgin (3 slides 2 photographs)
St. Mary the Virgin is a redundant church, very beautiful in its secluded setting. The richly carved pews are similar to those of St. Germans. Those on the south date from 1400, those on the north, only slightly more complex, date to 1500. The pew ends contain the major figural imagery, a series of saints; smaller figures of saints flank the finals. St. Margery Magdalene, on the north, is richly dressed and wears a small triangular cap that allows her hair to fall across her shoulders. She is recognizable by her unguent jar she carries in her hand.
A brass lectern in the shape of an eagle is still extant. It is said to come from Walsingham in 1518. The inscription reads + Orate pro anima fratris Robti Barnard gardiani Walsingham Anno (pray for the soul of brother Robert Barnard, custodian of Walsingham, the year )
The unadorned font dates from about 1490 and the cover, crowned by a pelican, to 1626.
Wigginhall - St. Mary Magdalene
Building rebuilt largely in the 15th century. Impressive south porch. In many windows, the tracery areas retain their medieval stained glass and show complex and erudite program of saints.
WMM1 Wigginhall - St. Mary Magdalene, 15th century, from south-east.
WMM1 Wigginhall - St. Mary Magdalene, 15th century, porch
WMM1 Wigginhall - St. Mary Magdalene, 15th century, widow
with original tracery lights with erudite program of saints