1. GENERAL HEADING: Improvisation
2. TITLE OF EXERCISE: "Justification"
3. GOALS: To develop the imagination by fantasy
4. NUMBER OF STUDENTS: Group exercise or individually.
5. EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES: None
6. CLASS TIME NEEDED: 10 - 15 minutes
7. STEP-BY-STEP DESCRIPTION: Have the student (s) strike a pose arbitrarily and try to justify it. This takes three steps. First, strike any pose without thinking about it. Second, relax all muscles except those necessary to maintain pose. And third, ask the student when, how and why they might find themselves in such a position.
8. POINTS FOR OBSERVATION, DISCUSSION: Muscle tension and relaxation; the use of imagination; and the ability to act instinctually.
9. SOURCE/REFERENCE: I. Sudakov's essay "The Creative Process" in Toby Cole's Acting: A Handbook of the Stanislavski Method, NYC: Crown Publishers 1955.
10. ADDITIONAL READING: N.A.
11. VARIATIONS: N.A.