1. GENERAL HEADING: Voice and Body Exercises
2. TITLE OF EXERCISE: "Advances and Retreats"
3. GOALS: Strengthening contact and communication.
4. NUMBER OF STUDENTS: In pairs.
5. EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES: None, but requires a pre-memorized scene.
6. CLASS TIME NEEDED: Ten to fifteen minutes.
7. STEP-BY-STEP DESCRIPTION: Scene partners find a large open space in which they can work. Partners stand facing each other about an arm's length apart. The actors advance toward their partners while speaking their lines. The receiving partner retreats while listening, staying just out of reach. When the speakers change so does the direction of advance and retreat, with the new speaker now advancing and the former speaker (now the receiver) retreating.
8. POINTS FOR OBSERVATION, DISCUSSION: The vocal energy of the actor should drive this exercise, not the physical presence.
9. SOURCE/REFERENCE: Audrey Stanley
10. ADDITIONAL READING: N.A.
11. VARIATIONS: Can be followed-up in a later session with actors actually
placing their palms on each other's shoulders and physically advancing and