1. GENERAL HEADING: Voice and Body Exercises
2. TITLE OF EXERCISE: "So Inclined"
3. GOALS: To discover the physical energy needed to sustain vocal performance. To increase concentration.
4. NUMBER OF STUDENTS: Full class.
5. EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES: None.
6. CLASS TIME NEEDED: About five minutes.
7. STEP-BY-STEP DESCRIPTION: All class members find a small space along a wall. Facing the center of the room, the actors step away from the wall about a foot. Keeping the body straight and rigid, they lean back until their weight is supported by one point on the back of their head in contact with the wall. Thus supporting themselves, they simultaneously speak their monologues.
8. POINTS FOR OBSERVATION, DISCUSSION: This takes surprising physical energy and commitment to accomplish. It forces correct vocal support. Because of the considerable distraction of others doing the exercise, it also builds concentration.
9. SOURCE/REFERENCE: Audrey Stanley
10. ADDITIONAL READING: N.A.
11. VARIATIONS: N.A.