1. GENERAL HEADING: Warm-up Exercises
2. TITLE OF EXERCISE: "Team Recital"
3. GOALS: To build responsiveness and teamwork in working with breathing and dialogue.
4. NUMBER OF STUDENTS: Groups of 8 are optimum.
5. EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES: None
6. CLASS TIME NEEDED: 5-10 minutes
7. STEP-BY-STEP DESCRIPTION: Participants form a circle with feet touching those of persons next to them. Starter gives the first word from a line of dialogue that all participants know; next person gives the next word; and so on, each person giving one word of dialogue, trying to match the pitch, tempo, and emotion of the previous persons. Then, participants put arms around the waists of adjacent participants. Group breathes together, bending knees slightly on exhale, then straightening on inhale. Gradually the movements accompanying the exhale/inhale grow larger and as the group inhales (and rises), each person tries to lift, not him/herself, but those beside her/him (the ideal effect is that all are lifted by others rather than themselves).
8. POINTS FOR OBSERVATION, DISCUSSION: Responsiveness to spoken dialogue and to movement of others.
9. REFERENCES: Michael Friedman, University of Scranton
10. ADDITIONAL READING: N.A.
11. VARIATIONS: N.A.