Tomb of Lord Bardolph, one of
the heroes of the battle of Agincourt and his wife, Joan, 1450, alabaster
and paint, Dennington (Suffolk), Church of St. Mary
The chapel of St. Margaret,
on the south aisle of the church, contains a splendid tomb erected about
1450 for Lord Bardolph, one of the heroes of the battle of Agincourt and
his wife, Joan. Both sculptures are in a good state of preservation
with original polychrome (undoubtedly partially renewed at some later date).
Lord Bardolph, dressed in full armor, is distinguished by the IHS (monogram
of the name of Jesus) on his forehead, the SS collar, given by the Lancanstrian
kings in recognition of great personal service, and the Order of the Garter
on his calf (a band with the inscription Honi soit qui mal y pense).
(See also the commoner, John Baret with SS collar on his tomb at St. Mary’s
Church, Bury St. Edmunds.) Joan is richly dressed, her elaborately coifed
hair on a cushion supported by angels. She has a salamander (able
to withstand fire) at her feet, a symbol of chastity.